Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Blogtember: Life Takes Turns

Describe the distinct moment your life took a turn.

The first thing that came to my head when I read this was my college move-in day. I applied to 6 schools, all out-of-state and fell in love when I stepped foot on Virginia Tech’s campus. I sent in my acceptance shortly thereafter, and anticipated moving in, making friends, going to football games, joining a sorority, etc. However, it really hit me when I unpacked the last of my items into my dorm room that, to begin at least, I was completely alone.

Being an out-of-state student at a large public state university, meant most kids had a few (if not a lot) of their high school friends as security blankets for the first few weeks. I knew no one. And to help, my roommate had already moved in and went back home until school started 3 days later. I felt like I had zero friends. But soon after I met a girl on my hall, in a similar situation as me and met more and more girls. Some of my favorite memories of college take place with those girls in that dorm.
Hallmates the first football game
(apparently jean skirts were still in as 3 of us were sporting them)

My very first college class, Geology (Rocks for Jocks, y’all), I slid into an empty seat next to a girl and struck up a conversation. We ended up becoming great study partners and friends, and even planned to take our next semester of geology together. While I didn’t end up remaining close with her throughout the rest of our 4 years (she took two co-op and we lost touch), meeting her and becoming friends that first day gave me confidence to strike up conversations and meet more and more people.


My geology friend and her roommates



Nowadays, my friends will tell you how I introduce myself to people before people can introduce me. And I will not lie; it is much easier to do when you have a great support group around you. If you do get shot down or the person turns out to be a total weirdo, it makes a great story to laugh about with your friends. I think I took a large step out of my comfort zone those first few weeks at school. And it prepared (*pushed*) me to continue to step out of my comfort zone to take opportunities and create experiences I will cherish forever. I could have taken the easy road and went to school close to home, with friends but I choose my own path and I could not be happier with my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment