Thursday, September 29, 2011

Real World Post

So usually I do not like to get into the nitty gritty of my life, but I am feeling a little torn and need to express and would love any feedback! 

Pinned Image

I am a senior and while I am sad to leave my carefree, no responsibilities life of a college kid, I am also excited to get into the real world with a job, money, and real responsibilities. 

I am so thankful that I have so many different opportunities for jobs out there for me, especially in this economy. Currently, I have one amazing job offer and 6 interviews lined up. Yet, many of them I do not desire. I know it sounds selfish to not care about some of the interviews, but in the end I want to be happy where I work. While working for a huge company with a great reputation is an amazing opportunity, I do not want to work 60+ hours a week and commute 2+ hours a day to work. I want a work-life balance and I am still young, I want to have fun also! 

Also, most of the job opportunities I am applying for are in the Northern Virginia/DC area. While it would be fun to live in the city, after growing up in the suburbs of DC on the other side of the Potomac, I have no desire to deal with its competitive atmosphere. And after living in Richmond this summer, I believe it is where I am meant to be, at least for some point in my life.

I am struggling to push through my remaining interviews after my one today went not so great in my mind when I have such an amazing opportunity already in my hands (and it doesn't help my BFF's from the summer already accepted their offers). In the end I want to work someplace I wake up wanting to go to and love the people and culture, and feel like I already have that but am afraid I am leaving something better behind. I am going to go through the interviews and hopefully I put my best foot forward but feel like unless someone does something extremely amazing, my heart is set in Richmond. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG THIS POST JUST MADE ME SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!! I have lived in Richmond for my ENTIRE LIFE and I cannot express my love for it in words. I recommend it 100 percent! If you know in your heart that it's the right thing to do, then go for it- no matter what! (the fact that I'm bullying you into moving to Richmond doesn't help) but seriously follow your heart on this one because it's YOUR LIFE. So excited for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete